Monday 10 May 2010

New Books Are Just as Nice as New Fabrics

After reading a few reviews on other blogs, I bought myself this new book:

martha1

(I'm pretty sure those lovely threads there on the right hand side are the same Hemingworth ones I saw at The Eternal Maker t'other week. I just love their shape.)

It's a pretty damn good resource. If you're familiar with American Craft Goddess Martha Stewart's website (which is rather hard work to wade through and could do with a good tidy) then you probably know of a few of these projects already; but it's very nice to have them all in one, huge reference volume. The photography is just beautiful and it comes with a CD of all the patterns used, too. I've had a quick flick through so far (quick = 40 minutes. It's that big, people) and I'm impressed. The writing isn't as quirky as I would like, but it's informative and knowledgeable. I'm looking forward to trying a few of the projects, especially the drawstring trews (photo below), and I think it'll be a great book to have on hand if you suddenly want to know how to approach something fabric-based but don't know where to start. Take a look through:

martha2

martha3

martha4

martha7

martha6

In other news, I spent the weekend sorting out my accounts. I like to live dangerously, as you know. They weren't in quite as bad a state as I thought there were, but very behind none the less. They're all done now, though, and I've put my new-found Excel skills into good use by making them all pretty and easier to read and used merged cells and everything. I knew those Thursday IT courses would come in handy somewhere. I just have to wait for my 2009/2010 P60 from the council and I can fill in my tax return. Woo!

2 comments:

Wibbo said...

I've been eyeing up that book too! Can I have a look at yours please? Ta! xx

Catherine Hayward said...

That looks like a very useful book! I used to think that Martha Stewart mainly just did the type of crafts where things are very pre-made factory 'bits' and just assembled, but clearly I was wrong (oops!)

Like you, waiting on the P60 from my day job to be able to do my tax return!