Tuesday 20 September 2011

Preparing

reamaining toms

Well, autumn definitely seems to be settling in. Huzzah! My favourite time of year! Time to get the scarves, boots and coats out of the wardrobe and ready for wearing. I do like the change in the seasons, especially when it's so noticeable. I always feel much more inspired to cook "proper" meals in the autumn/winter and I've already made a good start with braised red cabbage this week. And, not only that, but I also collected in all the remaining tomatoes to make chutney (1kg! How did I have that many left on just four plants?!) and gave the herb pots a good haircut and brought the cuttings in to dry. I've also made plum jam, but only managed to have enough for two jars, which was a bit disappointing, but it does mean I have three jars spare I can make some other type of jam for. AND, right now, if all that Domestic Goddessery wasn't enough, I have a huge pan full of what is going to be beef stock bubbling away on the stove. Squirrel, squirrel, store, store. LOVE that feeling of stocking up and preparing, even if I do have a supermarket directly across the street!

No comments: