Sunday 6 January 2013

Who's The Fairest One of All?

Fantastic Mr Fox, it seems.

mirror mirror

This is our most recent bargainous second-hand find. This baby was a mere £1.99 in a local charidee shop. Hubbo surprised me with it one Saturday after I'd got back from work. Ennee good?

It's not in the most amazing condition, hence the bargain price, I suppose, but I'm happy with the little dude. I've had a lot of fun cleaning it up this week, particularly soaking the chain in Coke to remove the grime (works awesomely) and shining it up with Brasso. The wooden frame got a good going over just with warm water and vinegar - you'd be amazed at all the gunk that came off - and a bit of a feed with a rubbing of furniture wax. A quick polish of the glass, and it was up on the wall. I moved a few pictures round to make room for it, and it really is true that a change is as good as a rest. I do love bouncing light around with the odd mirror or two, it works just as well as a can of white paint.

It's quite inspired me to get on and change up a few more things around here. After having our 50s kitchen cabinet for only 16 months now, Hubbo and I finally got around to doing a bit of investigative paint stripping this afternoon. I had hoped we might be able to take it back to plain wood and paint parts of it up something like this, but I don't think the condition of the wood is going to be good enough to get away with it. So, back to Plan A, I think, which was to paint it all over in something near to its original colour, baby blue. Watch this space...

No comments: