Thursday 16 October 2008

It's official....

...it is autumn.

I know it is because I have:

a) Made Sophie Grigson's Braised Red Cabbage, my absolute favourite wintery vegetable.

b) Had the heating on three times now.

c) Knitted myself a new scarf.

d) Bought two new coats.

e) Been out walking in the park just to kick up the fallen leaves.

and f) Found Russets, the best apples ever, at the local market.





I love their rough, mottled green-gold skin. Their flesh is pale yellow and firm and juicy. Hom Nom Nom.

Autumn is my favourite season. And the weather, bar a day or two here and there, has been beautiful, golden and crisp for the past five weeks. I'm starting to think about Christmas and have already started my annual collection of Christmas catalogues. I have ones from Boots, Sainsbury's and Woolworths so far, and am constantly looking out for new additions every time I go into town. Sad, I know, but I love the feel of the build up to Christmas even more than the day itself!

5 comments:

Gretel said...

Russets are my favourite too! And they are one of the few things which stay truly in season - autumn - unlike say, strawberries which are apparently all year round now. Although my very favourite apple has to be a Blenheim Orange, unfortunately not usually available in supermarkets or anywhere else without a heritage orchard...

Deb said...

thank you for reminding me about russets! orrr i used to love these apples. i know it is autumn as well as i have the heating on two or three times. dx.

Emm@ said...

Blenheim Orange, eh? Will have to keep a look out for that one.

natural attrill said...

Me too! I love russets, we used to have a russet apple tree in our garden when i was a kid.
P.x

clare said...

Russets are my favourite apples, as well! They are one thing which cheers me up about the end of summer