Tuesday, 26 June 2012


Here's a patchwork project I've been meaning to share for, um, over two months now. I made this cushion cover for my Ma's birthday, which was the middle of April. Ahem. Anyhoo, here it is:

ma cushion 1

ma cushion 2

ma cushion 3

ma cushion 4

I made it in shades of green and purple to match my Ma's living room colour scheme, but stuck in a bit of orange, too, as a) it looks awesome with purple and green, and b) it's one of my Ma's favourite colours. And I'm totally in love with putting plain white in my patchwork; it really makes the other colours and patterns pop, I reckon.

I was inspired by Malka Dubrawsky's "Strings Attached Trivet" pattern from her book "Fresh Quilting". It's the pattern top left on the cover:

I went for the recommended spiral quilting, too, which I think just looks awesome with the geometric lines of the fabric scraps. However, I cut my individual squares out precisely, as I wanted them to work exactly with the dimensions of the cushion pad, rather than letting the squares be quite random. There's only so much wonkiness a Virgo can go with, you know!

This was a great stash/scrap busting project, and loads of fun. The individual squares look so neat and interesting once cut out from the larger pieced-together square you sew initially. Hold on to your hats, but tomorrow I'll have another long overdue patchwork creation to share! I spoil you, I know.